Language Disconnect: The Point Is! Edition

Here's a question that comes up occasionally regarding fandom and subcultures and whatnot. "Isn't that the point?"

I saw this come up a few times in the comments to my essay at Racialicious, and maybe I'm being a pedant, but it seems kind of silly to declare what the point of certain things are.

Here's something that occurred to me:

There is no point.

I don't mean this in the "there is no spoon" sort of way, but, declaring what the point of steampunk is - "the point of steampunk is to re-invent the past!"

Well. Not really. It's certainly the purpose of some of its participants, but I hesitate to name that the whole point.

Now, I recognize that it's possibly useful as a rhetorical tool, but the more I see it, the more confusing it gets.

Some things... just are.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Pidgin Does Not Signify Lack Of Intellect

Race in Cartoons

May 13 Blogswarm Links Post